Monday, October 26, 2015

Brunch in Frankfurt?



One of my favorite things about the new year is a new paper calendar. I buy one at the book store then take myself on a date, just me and my calendar. I then carefully go through each week of the year and mark down birthdays, events and the multitude of plans I've already crafted. It brings me enormous satisfaction. It's not surprising, I was that child who always looked ahead in the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books so I could plan which route in the story to take. 

In the past year I've embarked on a personal quest to ease the pressure of pre-filling out the calendar. I want to shed the layer of being that person who is "always busy" in hopes of living more fully in the moment and allowing life to create its's own adventures. And life has not disappointed. It has allowed me to venture on a moments notice and also find greater rest. When you hold your schedule loosely, it leaves room for a greater depth of opportunity. Suddenly you're not confined to your own imagination. You become open to the collective creativity of those around you - and even more wonderfully frightening, where the Lord might call you to.

So another adventure is about to unfold, one that is laced with both spontaneity and great purpose. This one quite different than the last one I mused about. Our European expedition last fall had been over a year in the making and was three weeks of playful exploring, dining, and celebrating with friends and family from all over the globe. Our upcoming trip was planned just three weeks ago and the territory is quite unknown to Sean and I. But our curious and eager minds could not be more thrilled-for on Tuesday, we travel to Ukraine.

From right-left: Brett, Jed, Beau (Brett's Brother), and Sean


Ukraine fluttered onto our radar a year ago, when in Switzerland, we met Jed, cousin of the groom Brett. Beyond the many laughs over playing Space Team and celebrating a beautiful marriage, Sean and I got to learn about Jed and his family's work in Ukraine. They run a non-profit, Wide Awake International. Their mission: Bringing Hope, Dignity, and Love, to orphans with disabilities in Ukraine (http://wideawakeinternational.org). 

Since hearing about it a year ago, Sean and I  have talked about how amazing it would to travel there sometime. I've kept up on and wept through their blog www.wideawakefamily.com. Sean and I, along with our dear friends Brett and Rachel, have been praying for the past year and a half about what God is calling us into. Three weeks ago we got a message from Jed: I'd like to have you come visit Ukraine, I've got a project I could use help on in November, what do you guys think? At first glance it seemed unrealistic, Sean had little vacation time and we are both up to our ears with work. But here's the deal, most incredible opportunities aren't characterized by practicality and comfort. We prayed, talked it over with work, and came to the unanimous conclusion that: Life is short, we have been seeking Vision, and what better way then across the world, helping out in a new place along side dear friends.

Tuesday we will work half days and rendezvous at the airport, where we will fly into Frankfurt for an 8 hour layover. There I will cash in on an invitation by my handsome Irishman for brunch and exploring in the city square. From there we fly to Kiev to then drive 3 hours west to our home for the week. It will be a whole new culture and experience. One that I am anticipating will shift our perspective. I feel like even the past three weeks of prayer and preparation have watered a yearning in my soul. I am looking forward to showing love to the kids there as we work on making their space more fun and beautiful. 

So cheers to the spontaneous, to adventures, to Vision, and to the impending consumption of potato and meat filled dumplings. 





No comments:

Post a Comment